duminică, 23 februarie 2014

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)


Imagine a late Saturday at the end of a working weekend.
Let's start form here.
I am pretty sure you are already familiar with this story frame. Not enough energy to go out with a couple of friends. One of the possible remaining choices to end up the day is to get some early sleep or to postpone it a bit and maybe watch a movie.

I chose the latter. The movie, The Adjustment Bureau (2011) was on the recommendations' TV grill, so it had a  brief description: a romantic science fiction thriller movie based of the Philip K. Dick's short story "Adjustment Team". My first impression was that the movie seemed to be a mixed salad.
Let me tell you that I could have not been further from the truth. And that I watched the re-run this morning. How many movies did you see twice? How many movies did you see twice one day apart?

I really liked it. Not for Matt Damon or Emily Blunt. Not for the cast but for the idea behind it. But true, their performance was convincing too. And there were some obvious sparkles.
As for the themes: free will, predestination, love, the descend to the underworld, God and angels that might be a bit too much to add to a movie in such a way as not to make the ending predictable.
Still, I didn't even went to the kitchen to drink some water and really really hoped that no one will call during it.
The maze in which the characters, the people are caught and the series of coincidences they interpret as being twists of fate is well described in the movie. The idea that we work according to a plan, that we are guided  for our own benefit even if this guidance might well be totally opposite to what our heart yearns for is intriguing. Who decides what we do? Are we capable of building our own fate? Are life imperfections adjusted sooner or later?  Before deciding that it is just another cheesy movie with a pale hue of Matrix-like plot, take a look at it.
I guarantee you that after you do it, you'll see doors and hats differently.

Niciun comentariu: