duminică, 13 decembrie 2009

In the mood for love (2000)

It's been a while since O. told me about it.
He was not the only one to mention it but for him the movie carried a special significance. I promised to watch it but it took me more than a few months (could it be a year?) to finally do it.
I felt I was not prepared.
I read the reviews so I was expecting to see a great movie. And I was not at all dissapointed. But this post it's not about that.
It started snowing. Actually it all started with a complaint letter to A. asking one extra signature as co-petioner for the Ministry of Winter. That makes no sense for you. I know. But the basic idea is that it started snowing and I felt cheerful first and right after that a bit melancholic as it happens every year when I see the first snow. So I decided to watch a movie. Not every movie, but this one. It was in a way calling me.
Anyway,
the original title of the movie belonging to Kar Wai Wong is Fa yeung nin wa although it has been translated in various ways in different langauges. I have no idea what the original title means but I've read that the English one was inspired by a song. I neither like this title nor one of the following variants: Flower Like Years, Deseando amar, Disponível Para Amar.

I could understand though the French Canadian version of it: Les silences du désir. As far as I am concerned the movie is it about what is not shown or made public, or inviting through it's inner predisposition. It about perspectives which are not taken into consideration when narrating a story: dark corners, ponds of water, exteriour walls, a doorbell, the smoke of a cigar, slippers, noodles... we are so much used to try to find the significance of everything that is around us , that the conquest of the Graal transformed in a search of meaning in the surrounding world.
The characters fall in love by mistake ( if something like that ever exists) trying to rearrange a puzzle of their partners' affair. In the end, Romeo and Juliet don't stand a chance when compared to this movie if you ask me.


Niciun comentariu: